Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Walla Walla Trip #1 - Mill Creek Brewing


We just got back from a little trip to Walla Walla. The first question I got when I told people we were going was, "Why?" Well, after coming back, I can tell you why. About 140 Wineries, 3 Breweries, and one Cidery.
There are two breweries in Walla Walla, and a third one really close. The first one I want to talk about is Mill Creek Brewing.
Located right in downtown Walla Walla, this one definitely wins for convenience. We went there twice, as it is also one of the few places open relatively late. They only had three of their four beers available, so we will have to grab the other during a later visit.
We tried their Walla Walla Wheat, IPA, and a beer named Brew 22.
The wheat is served with a lemon, but isn't' quite as light as most Hefs. It was an ok beer, good for a hot day, drinkable, but wasn't my favourite.
Their IPA had a real nice, dense, amber color. It had a strong hop flavour, that disappeared quickly, and had the requisite floral notes. The menu says this is for the advanced beer drinker, but I am pretty sure a novice could handle it ok.
The Brew 22 was actually pretty good. We had heard that is wasn't, and that a previous recipe was far superior. Maybe so, but I really liked this beer. The menu says this has just a hint of attitude, which sounds more like a tag-line for a Scion than a beer. It had a dark amber color, a distant spiciness, and, again, was nice for a summer night. Not real heavy, but the most interesting of the beer we had there.
So, food wise, free peanuts that you can throw on the floor was an instant hit with me. The fish and chips, sadly, were not. But hey, I was dumb enough to order fish and chips in Walla Walla, so I got what I deserved.
The decor is sports bar , meets nick knack grandmother, meets beer advertising freebies gone wild.
But, I kinda liked the place. I am a simple man, easily won over by free peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment