Thursday, August 13, 2009

Double Mountain trip

As if anyone with any common sense needed an excuse to go to Hood River for no other reason other than visitng Double Mountain, I have yet another. Thy name is Oaked Idle Hands. If Ft. George's Illuminator is sex in a glass, than Oaked Idle Hands is the pleasing, comforting smoke afterwords. It is a Scotch ale, aged in oak barrels. It is brewed with Gambrinus Organic Pilsner and Dark Munich malts, imported crystal malts, and roasted barley. It uses Brewer's Gold and Newport Hops. It is 8% ABV. It is...spectacular. At $6 for 12oz, it is a steal. Calling this one of my favourite Double Mountain brews is saying a lot. I haven't found one I don't like yet (though the current batch of Kolsch, unfortunately, seems a bit off). I have a bad feeling that it will never see the bright lights of the rose city, so I urge, beg, insist that you drive, bike, or crawl to Hood River to get it, before it is gone. Double Mountain, I feel at least , is not the same brewery that we saw when it first split from the Full Sail (full sail sucks) macro machine. It is becoming polished (try the Pilsner), experimental (Oak Aged Scoth Ale), and otherworldly (Kriek, Kriek, Kriek). With Ft. George and Double Mountain, I feel like Brad Pitt, with Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie tugging at either arm. But, lucky for me, I get to choose both.

No comments:

Post a Comment